Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Post #199: Two-color knitting tecnique

Un-named frogged pattern
Working color (grey) held behind previously 
worked color (white). White strand hangs off the 
front of the work. (Bottom white strand is the initial 
join for two-color knitting.)
I frogged (aka "ripped out all stitches of") a project that I started 2 years ago.  I had completed about 3 inches of the scarf before I frogged it.  I liked the pattern, but I determined that the pattern was taking too long and using too much yarn per inch of length.  Basically, I was knitting 2 rows for the equivalent of 1 row of length, so I needed something a little faster.  I ended up finding a new use for the yarn, which is a different pattern by one of my favorite designers, although I found the pattern first, and then found out she had designed it.  The new pattern is called "With all my love scarf."  I don't know the name of the old pattern because I can't find the written pattern right now.

Side view
In doing two-color designs, the question always comes up about how to change colors in an attractive way.  I like to slip the first stitch of every row for a nice edge in general, but this is complicated by colorwork.  I'm posting some pictures here to save time next time, so I don't have to try and figure it out again.

First stitch slipped to right needle, with working color (grey)
held in front of stitch.  Grey strand moved to back of work
for next knit stitch.  White strand hangs in front of work.


Basically, you hold the working yarn behind the previously worked yarn.  Pictures are necessary because it doesn't look like it will work when you're doing it.  This is why when I go to start a new project, it takes me a few tries before I remember the way I like it.

When using this technique the edges do not match, but both edges look nice.

--吴碧芙


No comments: