Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Post #202: The Thing Tutorial

I ordered a large utility tote from Thirty-One.  I found out after I received it that (1) it kind of smooshes down and has soft sides, (2) they make this thing that holds the tote open and keeps the sides more rigid, (3) the thing is only sold on a monthly special by the company and is not in the regular catalog, (4) the thing is also sold on Amazon and ebay for $50+ (What?!?), and (5) the thing can be made at home using some vague tutorials found online.


Step 1: Gather the materials
I decided to make my own tutorial to make the thing, which is called a "stand tall insert."  Here is what I used:

  • big diaper box (like the 150-diaper pack)
  • 1 yard of "value vinyl" in a complementary color (found at Walmart for $5/yard)
  • duct tape
  • spray adhesive
  • something to cut the heavy-duty cardboard (I used a husband with a table saw)
  • scissors to cut the vinyl
  • newspaper and painter's tape (for shielding the spray adhesive)
(You can see E-600 glue in the picture.  I used that to get some exercise by throwing it in the garbage.)


Step 2: Cut the cardboard
I cut the box apart, leaving the sides and long bottom flaps, to 21 inches long, which is the internal length of the large utility tote.  If you do this, you will not need to create new creases to make the bottom and sides.


Step 3: Overlap bottom flaps for 9-in width between creases
Then I overlapped the bottom flaps so that the bottom of the thing would be 9 inches wide, which is the internal width of the large utility tote.  I used duct tape to tape the top and bottom seams.  Think "science fair" with a overlapped middle panel.

Use a scissors to cut the vinyl.  I bought one yard, which was actually wide enough to cut in half and make two of these things.  


Step 4: Trim vinyl and adhere with spray adhesive
Now, let me introduce you to my new best friend: Spray Adhesive.  I wasn't going to use spray adhesive, but the E-600 could not do the job at all.  Spray adhesive was perfect.  I sprayed and adhered the thing starting with the middle panel: Spray, stick, smooth, wait.  

After doing the side panels, I turned it over and wrapped around the edges using spray adhesive.  I used painter's tape to tape newspaper to the cardboard to shield from overspray.  Painter's tape is easily removed from the cardboard immediately after spray adhesive is applied.


Step 5: Let spray adhesive dry
The spray adhesive makes it look super crisp with no gaps when the sides are folded up and placed inside the large utility tote.  All this ended up being 10% of the current going rate for these things (on Amazon and ebay).  I will admit that the official product might be better and does have some mesh pockets, but I think this works quite well and can't be beat for the price!
--吴碧芙
Step 6: Fit the thing inside the tote

No comments: