Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Tell me something I don't know...

I got a new fortune, which I must admit is better than "If it ain't broken, don't fix it." As far as fortunes go, it's actually pretty nice. Usually, I get weird ones that say, "When you walk into a room, the room just lights up." (I've never actually gotten this as a fortune, but they've been similar, and this phrase has come to be my pet peeve eulogy, by the way.) Anyway, that's a statement about personality, not a real fortune. Fortunes come in three types: 1) cliches or proverbs, 2) statements about personality (always good, by the way) and 3) actual fortunes. Plus, the ones that have winning lottery numbers. This most recent fortune is a good, true fortune, except that I already knew about this "great water-crossing" trip.

Being a logical person, I get my advice on the future solely from fortune cookies. Our family has a tradition that you can't hand a fortune cookie to another person, since touching a fortune cookie means that the fortune inside is meant for you. I will admit that it's only something we play at, but I like a good fortune all the same.

So I commend the company for writing a real fortune, but would anyone pay a psychic if she only produced commonly known knowledge (e.g. "Tomorrow will be Thursday")? I don't think so.

-
MsLin

No comments: