Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Rudeness is Magic

There are a few people that it's just not advisable to be rude to. One is anyone who will now, or in the future, handle your food. Another is people who work for you and your coworkers or classmates. Consider the situation that you have coworkers who handle your food, then you should really not be rude to them. The thing is that there is a feeling among coworkers: "We're all in this together." Even if you would never hang out outside of work, you still discuss work stuff while at work. Through this theory, I've never had a problem with a coworker, and I've never had any desire to be rude to a coworker, esp. given the idea that I will likely be seeing them often.

Our superiors have decided that employees are not allowed to have drinking water while on duty in the store. I don't know the exact rule, but it was mentioned to me, and I use a Nalgene bottle. Another coworker came over to get water in a cup with a lid because the version of the rule she heard was that bottled water wasn't allowed, but a cup with a lid and your name on it was ok. I don't get the difference, but whatever. The whole thing about water is so stupid. If the version I heard was true, and we aren't allowed to have water at all, then I'm glad I'm quitting in a month. In the dry air, it's easy to get dehydrated, to start feeling sick, and to lose your calm demeanor.

As an added complication today, we had a mix up with the soda machine tubes, so our water, from the soda machine tasted peppery like Pepsi. The water from the tap behind the counter goes through the same filtering system, so we use it like the soda machine water.

Anyway, one of our coworkers came over for a cup of water with a lid. As we went to get water from the tap, she started yelling. We said, it's the same filtered water, and our soda machine water tastes peppery because of the mix-up. I'm not kidding these are her exact words, "Well, YOU CAN KEEP IT THEN BECAUSE I'VE HAD YOUR TAP WATER, and IT'S NOT THE SAME." While she's walking away. I would've said, "Ok, that's fine, but I don't want water from the tap. Thanks anyway." I wouldn't have gotten all hostile.

I'll tell you what, though. All the nasty rudeness actually worked. The soda machine water magically got fixed. The crazy rule was overturned. It made me feel all warm inside.
It made me NOT fantasize about giving out "sneeze muffins." That's what I mean "Rudeness is magic." Being nice never got anything done.

Kicking kittens is also an effective method.

-MsLin

No comments: