Saturday, August 16, 2008

Stepping Out

My old roommate and I were busting up Iowa City this weekend. Things have changed, but things are also the same. There is a feeling to IC, which can't be described. It seemed that almost everything was the same, including some of the people we saw, people who have been walking the streets probably every day since we were in school. Shock highlights included the empty store front where Baldy's used to be, flood damage, and many new buildings.

We, of course, had dinner at Masala, and spent the rest of the night at, of course, Dublin Underground. The evening included us, ex's, ex-band members, and a few surprises. When we got hungry, we skipped out to Marco's Grilled Cheese cart and George's Gyros cart. We took over the jukebox, and played the less-known alternative and indie songs. In the morning we had breakfast at, of course, the Java House, where they make a Tahitian Coffee that can't be beat. We walked around checking out downtown, and we eventually went to the Co-op to get those few hard-to-find items (Coconut oil was on sale).


After the Co-op, I met my friend and her four-year-old for lunch at a Mexican restaurant. Then, I went to the best HyVee ever, where I used to work. They had gerbs, buy one get one free, and I couldn't resist.

I miss IC...It was good as escapism, at least for two days...Now I'll be going back to Starbucks coffee and beer to drown my sorrows.

-MsLin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey,
Glad to hear you took some time to kick back and relax before moving on.
Joan or Joanne at the hair salon G-spot will be leaving soon. She is marrying and going out to experience New York. She'll be back. As you know IC has a draw like no other established living area in Iowa.
MJinCR