Sunday, February 7, 2010

Weekend

We have started clinic, on top of classes and work duties. I have two clients, but one keeps canceling, so I haven't had a first session with that one. Luckily, the client I have started with is really wonderful, and I couldn't ask for a better first clinical experience.

One of my friends is a new grad student in the department this semester. She drives from Yankton, but is gracious enough to pick me up, so I don't have to walk, or, worse, waste gas driving, the one mile to campus. Her favorite color is purple, and in my gratitude for a ride, I made her a lanyard for clinic. (Actually, she doesn't want anything for picking me up, but she also needed a lanyard, and she didn't want me to make one for free.)


This weekend we had a workshop for gamelan (check out the "audio postcard" on the linked page to hear our director and members talk about the music) at the National Music Museum on campus. I joined the group this semester, having been invited by my supervisor, who is a long-time member of the gamelan ensemble. I usually play the saron, and for this weekend, we worked on interlocking melodies, where two sarons play on different beats, creating a melody between them. Our Javanese gamelan instructor came from Minneapolis for a whole weekend to teach about the music and culture of Indonesia. It was relaxing and informative, and I didn't even miss doing my homework.

-吴碧芙

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good job with the lanyard!! Your aunt will be very pleased!!I like the postcard link. I'm always surprised when that stuff works for me. There is alot of snow here and more to come. I will probably have clients cancel tomorrow d/t the snow. Matka

Anonymous said...

By the way, you have a new follower from the west coast. Matka

Gaelle said...

The lanyard is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I made two new lanyards this weekend. They do not meet your standards. Ah. The pupil becomes the teacher. We too have more snow but my clients never cancel. Hm.
MJinCR

TABinNH said...

It's been more than a month without a post. Have new lanyard ideas have soaked up all available time and energy?