Thursday, September 6, 2007

Rainbow California Happy Zone

I've seen a lot of interesting Tshirts around lately. "Rainbow California Happy Zone" is one of the more enjoyable ones, but I thought "Jesus Loves Even You" was also notable.

Also notable today: we went to Lotus, which is Chinese Walmart. I got a couple of towels and some Chinese children's books that have both Chinese characters and pinyin. They are really cute. Another great find was butter, which I need to make that box of Mac and Cheese I brought, and any that others send me . Butter comes in a baby package, not bigger than 1/2 c. Finally, I went to the vegetable stand, and got green pepper and carrots. I made a stirfry meal to break in my wok and rice cooker.

This evening we had the most enjoyable food. It's the most enjoyable for me because I didn't have to pick around or pretend that I don't see the meat in a "vegetarian" dish. It was Chinese barbecue, which is available in a stall right outside the campus gate. Everything is on a stick, and you choose the types you want to be cooked on the spot with special spicy-salty seasonings. I got eggplant, tofu, and greens. It was delicious. The woman in the stall keeps track of everything, and at least for us, she remembers our choices and charges us appropriately when we leave.

吴佩芙

No comments: