Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Oasis

On Friday night I went to eat Buddhist food with some of my distinguished colleagues, one of whom teaches in the English department here, and she is a vegetarian. It was completely wonderful because all of the Buddhist food is vegetarian, made with texturized vegetable protein that tastes like meat. So the entire menu was "safe," and we ordered a set meal for three.

After dinner, we went to the old standby: WalMart. I couldn't find an ice pack, but I got a few other necessities. We also went to the coffee shop, where we can buy coffee and Twinnings tea and a small assortment of Western goods, including sprinkles.

Then we went to our English dept. colleague's apartment in the city. It was so beautiful, just like an IC professor's house. Bookshelves, huge CD collection, art...things I haven't seen in a long time. On top of everything, she has an oven and she had made brownies. It's been so long since I ate brownies that I had forgotten what they were supposed to taste like, but they were such a treat, and I'm sure I will remember it for a long time.

- 吴佩芙

No comments: