Friday, June 20, 2008

Toes

Some of my distinguished colleagues and I decided to go downtown yesterday. Some of us hadn't had a pedicure before, even at home. However, we were persuaded when we saw that one of our colleagues had some cute nails done at a nice and clean salon. She said that we could get fish painted on our toes, and she told us about some hideous design examples she had seen. (Well, maybe not "hideous" but a little too bright, a little too busy, and a little too China-fabulous.) We each got either fish or flowers, and it was a fun girl's day to celebrate the end of the year and the beginning of the rest of our lives. Can you guess which toes are mine?


I couldn't resist the fish, and I think the did a good job. My first pedicure, and maybe my last for a long time, was very fun and cute. Some of us also went to buy some gongfu tea sets, keeping in mind room in our suitcases and breakability of tea sets. I found a pattern I really like though, and a little yellow travel set in a zipper case (without a base) for under 2 USD.

We came home and got dressed for our year-end party. It was held at a nice hotel with a buffet dinner and then there were speeches and karaoke. It was also my first time singing any karaoke. I sang "I Just Called to Say 'I Love You'" by Stevie Wonder and "Top of the World" by the Carpenters (and was quite impressed that they actually had that one).

We took an extra hour to get to the hotel, though, because our fancy coach broke down right after we got out of the STU gate and onto the busy road. We got off the bus, and then they said it was fixed, so we got back on the bus. It wasn't fixed, so we got off the bus, (did the Hokey Pokey), and finally a new bus was called.

If you still haven't guessed, here is an extreme close-up of my toe painting:


-吴佩芙

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Toes on the left, I like green and I think you do too, so, toes on the left in the green straps. My first pedicure was my last, so far. Nice to save some fabulous things for when you're all grown up. It makes you feel like you are on the top of the world looking down on creation. They look good enough to be Iowa-Fabulous. The wheels on the replacement bus went round and round. You have been attending more parties lately. Glad to hear you are enjoying the final weeks in China. Matthew home this weekend and Jared coming over for Mira-taco-time. We have fresh tomatoes that are safe to eat. Yippee!
MJinCR