Monday, November 3, 2008

在 南大口塔 有 柚子!! (South Dakota has pomelos!!)

红色的 柚子!! (Red pomelos!!) I went to HyVee to get some Election Day food (read: beer...just kidding). I usually check for pomelos, not really expecting, but hoping, to see some. Today I saw some! I wanted to buy out the store, but I just bought two.


For those who are pomelo newbies: The first time I had a pomelo in China, I was visiting a colleague who had some students visiting her. They handed me a section of pomelo, and I ate it as it was. I pleasantly said how good it was, when in fact, I thought it was terribly tough and like eating leather. The problem was that I didn't open the white "skin" that covers each section. On the picture, you can see one portion which is pink and shiny, while the other portion is white and veiny. You want to eat sections from which the white veiny part has been peeled off. With my colleague and students, I was relieved when I watched someone else eat a section, peeling off the skin. I started eating a few sections at every meal, and pomelos became my favorite fruit. I thought it would be quite some time before I could eat one again, but SD went beyond my expectations.

-吴碧芙

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get to be first this time! Take that MJ in CR! Pomelos! How nice! Maybe you can have some ther when your parents show up next week! Can't wait to see you! Love you more! Matka

Anonymous said...

It must be an OLDER sister thing, Beth, this idea of a competition to write my niece. Did you vote early and vote often? Very exciting this right to vote! Living through history making times! And now Pomelos! Where will it end? I am working hard cooking up the rest of the farm apples. Baking apple crisp mostly. Sure does warm up the house. Jeff and I are working feverously to get our vehicles ready for winter before it gets cold. We even started up the snow blower to make sure it is all set to go. Hope you are prepared for those SD winters.
MJinCR