Friday, April 24, 2009

Weird Food

I've often thought that garlic ice cream would be good. There's something about the bite of the garlic with sweetness of the ice cream that sounds interesting. However, since coming back from China, ice cream has been less interesting to me--along with ice water, ice cream is just too cold, and it doesn't give me an overwhelming feeling of bliss, like it used to.

A while ago, I heard about a chocolate bar flavor on NPR. I saw it, and, I must admit, made an impulse buy at the checkout of World Market. I tried it a little apprehensively, but it turned out to be just wonderful. It was on clearance, so I suppose other customers don't listen to NPR and/or aren't as brave.


If you've tried Mayan cocoa or brownies, with cayenne and cinnamon, you might understand the concept behind curry and chocolate. The curry is milder than the cayenne, though, and hits a little lower on the palate. The coconut gives a nice texture. One small piece is satisfying, so the bar has lasted me this whole week, and I still have 1/4 left.

What weird foods or combinations strike your fancy?

-吴碧芙

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard many times that not liking any onions in any food is weird.
MJinCR

Anonymous said...

MJinCR, I know who you are. But why do they say'onions in any foods is weird' to you? Did Miss Linguist say that to you or your sisters, including my Mom? TELL ME!!!!!! I love smoked salmon in the morning with waffles.Some people say that is weird. But..., I love it!

A.G.M in N.J.

Miss Linguist said...

One question: If one doesn't like onions in any foods, does one avoid eating things in which the onions are cooked, but in which the onions do not feature prominently? I'm thinking, for example, chili or spaghetti sauce, especially canned. I make this exception for mushrooms, i.e. I will eat them in casseroles in which cream of mushroom soup is used.

Gaelle 巧云 said...

My sister doesn't like onions and used to refuse to eat spaghetti sauce in which she knew there were onions- my mom had to sneak them in because if she found one piece, she'd stop eating.

Anonymous said...

AGM, I say no onions. No one told me. I just do not like them. I am like the sister who will stop eating if she finds one onion. I smell onion rings. Many people eat them and I can see how happy they make them. I have even been talked into trying one. Don't like them. Do not like them.
MJinCR

Anonymous said...

Forget all the onion talk. Move on!!! I like my ice cream with chocolate syrup and nuts(roasted cashews).
SEMP-FI

Anonymous said...

I like ice cream too, SEMP-FI!
But who are you? A.G.M. in N.J.