Monday, July 6, 2009

The Cake Stands Alone

This 4th of July weekend, my parents and brother came to visit. We ate local, played board games, watched "Dorm Life" on Hulu (which you should also do), and had a nice dinner for my parents' anniversary. The city had a really nice fireworks display, which we could watch right outside their hotel.

I had another big celebration to prepare for, and my mom brought me cake pans along with the mold for a checkerboard cake. We decided to make strawberry and lemon cake with vanilla frosting. Filling the mold was a bit tricky and interesting. After filling it with alternating colors, the mold is removed before baking. I decided to make a two-layer cake, since no more layers would fit in my tiny oven.


In the end, I got two layers and 12 cupcakes. It was a delicious birthday cake, but as you can see, the checkerboard kind of blobbed out. (Click to enlarge.)


So delicious, in fact, that there is only one piece left...


Just kidding. We only ate 1/6 of the cake, or two of the twelve pieces. I put the rest, along with the cupcakes, in the freezer. Although, ten frozen pieces of cake are still ten pieces of cake.

-吴碧芙

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cake looks yummy!! Matka

Anonymous said...

Yes, the cake does look good, but I love the apron! Where did find it? Very cool. Baking is all the about the right tools, and with that apron you can master that checkerboard cake in no time.
MJinCR