Sunday, March 22, 2009

If at first you don't succeed...

DBF has the best cookie recipe. He's made some for me, and they are the perfect amount of chewy, with a flavor of store-bought ready-to-bake dough cookies, without the store-bought preservative flavor. So, I asked for the recipe, including the secret ingredient, which he has developed. He emailed me the recipe, and I tried to make it yesterday. They turned out horribly (left cookie). After 8 min., I saw that the edges were crispy and the middles were raw. The end result was a cookie with a gooey center and lacy dark edges. They were inedible. He's out-of-town, so I called to ask what I could've done wrong. After some conversation and internet inquiries for "cookie problems," we finally arrived at the truth of the matter, which was that he had typed "1 tsp. soda," but the actual ingredient is "1 tsp. baking powder."


I tried the right recipe this morning. They didn't turn out like his, but a vast improvement (right cookie). And now we know what happens if you use baking soda instead of baking powder. I feel like I should get a girl scout badge for this little experiment.

-MsLin

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you want to send you a copy of Gramma's chocolate chip cookies? I sent those to the wrestling tournament. I heard they got rave reviews. Matka

Anonymous said...

I want that recipe. Matthew

Anonymous said...

Actually, I believe Matthew uses only his mother's recipe. Use part Crisco and part margarine, stir ingredients by hand only, and use secret splash of milk. Other secret is bit of oatmeal made into powder with food processor. Also best to cool dough in fridge overnight and bake the next day. Hmm lots of secrets. I will reveal all to you on Thursday.
MJinCR

Anonymous said...

Why won't you let me try your mother's recipe? Matthew

Anonymous said...

I'll send you the recipe, Matthew. I can copy to email when I have your email address. MJR in Tripoli

Anonymous said...

Beth,I think you should get a
brownie badge.Get it BROWNIE BADGE;
a brownie is a cookie? Is it? Or a
cooking with science badge.
P.S.
Hi there cousins!!!!

A.G.M in NJ

Anonymous said...

Beth should get a brownie badge to match her lanyard her aunt made her. If brownies are cookies, then you are someone from NJ not from CR. My brownies do have nuts and chocolate chips in them, just like my cookies. Cookies made from Matt's mother's recipe. Hi there nieces.
MJinCR